Titling a Used Vehicle

An application for certificate of title and registration must be made through the county treasurer's office in the county of residence. To avoid penalty, vehicle registration must be made within 60 days from the date of vehicle purchase.

You will need to submit the following items:

  • Properly signed title
  • Bill of sale for non-conforming titles
  • Complete odometer disclosure statement if the title is non-conforming. (Vehicles 10 years or older and trucks registered at 16M or higher are exempt but a mileage reading will still be required on the title.)
  • Insurance card or policy declaration page showing the policy number and expiration date
  • Sales tax receipt if Kansas dealer. If not, sales tax must be paid
  • Property tax must be paid at time of registration. The only exceptions are heavy trucks, trailers, and motorbikes
  • If the used vehicle was previously titled in another state, an MVE-1 vehicle inspection is required
  • Title application must be signed by the new owner